11 July 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from The Virago Book of Food:  The Joy of Eating

EDITH WHARTON
1862 - 1937

She had expected to view the company through a bower of orchids and eat pretty-coloured entrées in ruffled papers.  Instead, there was only a low centre-dish of ferns, and plain roasted and broiled meat that one could recognize - as if they'd been dyspeptics on a diet!  With all the hints in the Sunday papers, she thought it dull of Mrs. Fairford not to have picked up something newer; and as the evening progressed she began to suspect that it wasn't a real 'dinner party', and that they had just asked her in to share what they had when they were alone.

The Custom of the Country


Thoresby Dining Room by Marie-Louise Roosevelt Pierrepont 

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love Undine. Have you read?

    (And I see that you are keeping your staycation to yourself now - ;) - but I'm glad to have a chance to tell you that The Bloomsbury Cookbook is exactly the kind of cookbook you read like a novel and it's a staycation in itself. (I keep telling myself I can only afford a staycation this year, but then again maybe it's because I bought the B.C. ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Audrey, I have not...and I really should! I've been oh so conscious of trying to get out of my London-centric reading habit but it's a slow, slow, process.

    It's such a gorgeous book! I had a good gander while in a bookshop the other day...but my practical nature says 'ouch' to the price. That's too much shopping in second-hand shops for you!

    Oh dear, some spare time and the need to ramble is what that was. I really don't want this blog to be mired down in my trivial pursuits so off it went. Enjoy your staycation this summer, my friend!

    ReplyDelete