Thursday, 19 June 2014

Friday's Literary Feast

Quotes from the Virago Book of Food: The Joy of Eating

ELLA FARMAN PRATT
1837 - 1907

'Do you like brown bread, Marion?' asked Caddy, earnestly.  
  'Like brown bread?' she answered, folding a snowy towel over the pan, and placing it by the other sponges.  'Why, Caddy, didn't you know that intellectual people always liked brown bread?  The papers said so only yesterday.  My mental superiority, I will confide to you, young ladies, is chiefly due to the absence of the white loaf from the breakfast table...If I am not so brilliant as usual to-night, please to bear in mind that we've been out of brown bread for nearly two days.'

The Cooking Club of Tu-Whit Hollow


Still Life with Bread and Wine by Henri Horace Roland de la Porte

4 comments:

  1. I have always preferred white ... might explain a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud at that quote and you've made me laugh yet again. You make a good argument for the opposite being true, Mary, never you fear!

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear. Now I know why I've been a little off this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Snort*! This is too funny. A childhood full of Wonder bread and PB & J must explain why I never went to university.

      Delete